Reopening Oldham Local Studies and Archives
We’re very pleased to announce that Local Studies and Archives will be able to welcome visitors back into their search room from Wednesday 7 October. This will initially be a limited service to visitors who need access to our collections for their research. Visitors will be required to book their visit and order their documents, including archives, books and pamphlets, in advance. Visitors only wishing to use computers will also be required to book in advance.
The Local Studies building and services will look very different as we are introducing a number of measures to ensure the safety of our visitors and staff. These include:
- A new booking system to help us manage visitor numbers – all visits will have to be pre-booked without exception, with a limit of one visit per day per person and all material ordered in advance
- New document delivery processes to protect visitors and staff and to ensure that documents are quarantined appropriately
- One-way systems and capacity control
- Floor markers and temporary signage to help with social distancing
- Rigorous cleaning during and at the end of each day
- Provision of hand sanitiser.
We will also ask everyone booking a visit to agree to a new coronavirus visitor charter, aimed at encouraging all visitors to do their bit to help us ensure everyone’s safety. We will not permit anyone to enter the building who has not pre-booked so please do not travel if you have not been able to book as we will not be able to let you in. From 7 October we will be open from Wednesday to Friday each week, between 10:00 and 17.00.
We will be able to provide access to our search room only. Other facilities, including our public toilet, will remain closed. We will also be unable to provide many of our usual search room services such as the use of maps, browsing of books on the shelves and casual access to computers. Although we will not provide our usual information hand-outs and research guides in hard copy they are available here https://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200276/local_studies_and_archives
Our on-line catalogue to all Oldham Council Heritage Collections continues to be available. As well as being able to search our collections on this catalogue, many of our photographs can be viewed here. http://calmview.oldham.gov.uk/calmview/
There is a full Q&A providing more detailed information about the opening arrangements on our main webpage. https://galleryoldham.org.uk/collections/oldham-local-studies/